Monday, April 16, 2012

L’Oréal Color Riche Balm Review

Here it is! My first review! It’s actually the fourth I’ve done, but the first one I am posting. I’m so excited! Let’s get to it:

L’Oréal Color Riche Balm in 418 Caring Coral
CVS $7.99 (had $5 in ExtraBucks so I only paid $2.99 + tax)



These came out in what, December? Probably earlier than that, and I am on the Late Train. I hardly ever buy new lip things, aside from Burt's Bees, so no wonder this took me so long.



From L’Oréal’s website:
“Instantly smooths and nurtures lips, providing 8 hours of continuous hydration. Lips feel softer and more supple all day long. Even when removed, it leaves lips feeling conditioned for an additional 2.5 hours.”


Initial Thoughts:
I’ve heard a lot of complaints from bloggers and on YouTube about this product, mostly along the lines of “it’s not pigmented enough.” I don’t think that L’Oréal meant for this to be über-pigmented at all. In fact, their website even states “This tinted SPF 15 lip balm provides a hint of luscious, kissable color......” As it states, this is a balm, not a true lipstick. However, Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters are, in essence, the same idea but with a bit more color power.

Let’s Try It On!:
That being said, it does feel quite nice on the lips! Mine are a bit flaky recently, and this balm doesn’t accentuate the flakes, nor does it hide them particularly well. But under this you can really only notice them if you’re looking for them in the mirror, or someone’s eyes are literally 5 inches from your face.

The color I purchased is “Caring Coral.” First let me state that I’ve held off jumping on the bandwagon of coral shaded lips this spring because something deep in my mind is telling me that “coral just won’t look good on you. You’re too pale and cool toned.” But guys, seriously, this color looks AMAZING. I think it being a sheer balm is part of the effect. A nice way for me to dip my toes into the ocean of coral shades.

One thing I’m not clear about is whether their “8-hour” claim pertains to the tint, the product itself, or the feeling of “lusciousness.” I’m unclear because in their statement they said that “even when removed, it leaves lips feeling conditioned for an additional 2.5 hours.” Well let me tell you internet, not the tint, the balm, nor the luscious feeling itself stays for 8 hours. Not even close. Nowhere near 2.5 either.  I’ve been sitting here in the library for 45 minutes and it’s already gone. (I applied it when I first sat down). Don’t get me wrong, my lips still feel relatively nice (though already I can feel they are drying out and the flakes are coming alive), but the product has been, for all intents and purposes, removed. So L’Oréal, is it 8hrs or 2.5hrs that I should be feeling luscious lips? Because it’s neither.

How would I rate this?
★★★☆☆ 3 out of 5 Stars

When I got right down to it,  I like this but I don’t love it. I feel there are much better balms out there (Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters heyo!), and the staying power is just “….meh.” I have to reapply it every half hour or so for my lips to feel in any way moisturized.
The good part is the color is wonderful for someone who didn’t think they could pull off corals, and the smell is pretty nice. It’s not overly lipstick-y, but rather a tad cakeish? Like a vanilla cupcake before you put the frosting on. The shimmer is heavier than I expected, but not overwhelmingly so, and I quite like it.

All in all, I probably will not repurchase. If I want a good tinted balm, I’ve got my feet firmly planted in the Team Revlon camp because their Lip Butters make my lips feel much nicer than the L’Oréal. I will definitely keep this tube and use it up though, because I can’t pass up the nice coral color it puts out that actually flatters my skin tone!

One thing it does have over the Lip Butters is that the Balms have SPF 15. If that is a major concern to you, that may affect your decision when buying.

And as always, and ingredient list for those who want it:
Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (3%),Inactive Ingredients: Polybutene, Octyldodecanol, Ozokerite, Isopropyl Myristate, Petrolatum VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Diisostearyl Malate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Polyethylene, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Silica, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Alumina, Benzyl Alcohol, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Polyethylene, Terephthalate, Acrylates Copolymer, Fragrance, May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Iron Oxides Red 7, Red 22 Lake, Red 28 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine.

No comments:

Post a Comment